A central part of DK-CM’s Barkingside Town Centre improvements, Barkingside Town Square creates a new civic space in-between Fullwell Cross Library & Leisure Centre. The approach has been to bring qualities of these buildings’ interiors into the public realm. The new loggia is a ‘flattened’ 1:1 replica of the adjacent library’s clerestory windows, whilst the new leisure centre entrance is an extension of the lobby’s black terrazzo, transformed into a stage and focal point for the whole square. A new balcony terrace has been added to the library, updating its access for current legislation whilst giving it an outdoor space of its own for both formal and informal use.
The space now hosts musical performances, theatre, promotional events, and DK-CM are now working with the borough to develop a market for the space.
- Client: London Borough of Redbridge / Greater London Authority
- Value: £2m (Barkingside Town Centre)
- Dates: 2012 – 2014
- Collaborators: JMP, Europa, eHRW
- Status: Completed
- Special Mention European Prize for Urban Public Space 2016
- Commended New London Awards 2015: The Mayor’s Prize
- Shortlisted New London Awards 2015: Public Spaces Category
- Nominated Civic Voice Awards 2015